Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Interlude...

I know I started this blog with the intent of including snippets of the infamous LGN, but besides turning out to be a lot more work than I anticipated, I wondered about the sense of it. Why not finish the silly thing once and for all and get it in print, one way or another? I'm not sure I have the time or energy to try and pursue publication in the traditional sense, what with the demands of my art career and layup business, so I may well consider different options. It's quite amazing when I start to realise how many of my fellow horse artists are also writers, closet or otherwise. Perhaps we'll form our own group!

In the meantime, I keep writing (well, re-writing) away as time and my commission avoidance allows! I lurk on a writer's forum called Absolute Writer, and came across a thread asking one to consider what song might be a theme for one's novel. I found out I'm not the only one who has a "soundtrack" of sorts for my novel, but to pick just one song is a bit more challenging. I think my choice would have to be Dan Fogelberg's These Days, from the Captured Angel album. There are other songs on the album that are relevant as well, but this, the opening song on the album, recurs in my head throughout the story. The irony is that the main character is Lise Lachance, but the male protagonist, Pete Miller, refused to take second billing. So These Days is really "his" song.

I used to think of myself as a soldier
Holding his own against impossible odds
Badly outnumbered, and caught in the crossfire
Of devils and gods.

...Oh but these days are just like you and me....

My apologies to Mr. Fogelberg for so blatantly quoting the lyrics! Copyright 1975! While I know that using lyrics in the actual manuscript is a no-no, I do keep Dan Fogelberg as Pete's musical hero. He's not stupid, Mr. Miller -- he knows DF is the "thinking woman's heart-throb!" ;-D

So perhaps this blog will take a slightly different path, just to keep it active. A paragraph here or there, some of my delusional thoughts -- what more could a reader ask for? Haha...what reader(s)?????

No comments: